POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making thick non-transparent portion of image map : Re: making thick non-transparent portion of image map Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making thick non-transparent portion of image map
From: Bob Armstrong
Date: 15 Mar 2006 03:10:00
Message: <web.4417ca9fe453bbb1945ca8690@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omniverse@charter%net> wrote:
> "Bob Armstrong" <bob### [at] cosycom> wrote in message
> > the figure is projected only on the front and back of planes
> > of the box . How do I make it solid thru the thickness of the box which is
> > what I expected by default ?
>
> You've encountered a common misconception. Objects in POV are not solid,
> merely surfaces, until acted upon by other objects not just textures.

> A possible solution could be to use height_field for the box-like object
> after creating a second image especially for that, and apply the image_map
> pigment onto it.
> Hope that helps.

Thanks. After messing around with some problem with the .png file , perhaps
because it had white set as transparent ( inverting the colors in MS paint
caused the image to disappear ) I got it to work . I'm impressed it handles
the few bit wide ridges so well .

Boy , some of the images on your web site are intimidating .
Please tell me some of the images like
http://3digitaleyes.com/imagery/povrenders1/lcsrule_std were not
constructed from scratch .

Bob A http://CoSy.com